Why break the bank to decorate yourself, your home or your garden for Halloween? Here are a few ideas of where to buy materials for your halloween costumes and decorations. In following blog entries, I’ll cover some of the things you can make with these treasures.
1. Car Boot Sales – everything you may want
2. Charity shops – clothing and more
3. Car Breaker yards – lighting, motors, batteries, cable and similar
4. Local refuse tip – if you ask, you may be able to take for free or buy some items
5. Friends and Family – what are they throwing out or no longer need?
6. Free Ads – look for bargains or free if collected items
7. Discount or Pound Shops – fixings, adhesives, rope, torches etc
When looking around these locations, don’t actually look at what you see, imagine what you can do with it.
- Clothing could be for costumes or clothing on spooky props like corpses, grave diggers, scarecrows etc
- Old mirrors can be used for many things, maybe only the frame, with perhaps 2 way film to make a magic mirror effect.
- All forms of lighting may be used, lamps – perhaps with a flourescent starter to create an eerie flickering light.
- Old car motors – wiper or window, to animate your props, perhaps a rocking gravestone?
- You could use an old oscillating, side to side fan, modifiy it and make a character that looks left to right.
- Don’t forget old audio equipment, either connect to a pc, mp3 player or make a cd or tape for spooky noises, thunder and more…
- When it comes to screws, fixings, paint, glue etc – the discount shops are great places to check out.
For many ideas like these, wander over to GhoulishGadgets.co.uk to the Halloween Project List
When it’s over – are you storing your creations or recycling them? think ahead, there’s nothing worse than slaving over a huge masterpiece to then have to destroy it as you can’t store it.
Most importantly, safety – when picking up second hand equipment, especially electrical, take great care that it’s safe. Ensure no shock or fire hazard and that your halloween fun doesn’t become a nightmare.
Enjoy the treasure hunt, if you’re of your creation, we’d be happy to include it in our Halloween Project List at GhoulishGadgets.co.ukTags: Halloween Costume, Halloween Prop, Home Haunt, Lighting